The Travers and American Pharoah

Started by afleetphil, August 04, 2015, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afleetphil

Sounds like he's headed to the Travers Stakes, Aug 29th according to Zayat. Who can beat him. Texas Red ?

Senator L

might make him run, don't know about winning though  :chickendance:

Man o Taz

I would not dismiss Frosted. He has done well at this track before with 2 seconds and he was in the Jim Dandy where Texas Red was in the Dwyer last out - coming off a lay off and not sharp.

The Saratoga surface will be the equalizer. It will be like running at Churchill. It is a tiring, testing surface. I expect AP to win because of his dynamic stride, but they do not call Saratoga the graveyard of champions for no reason. If other greats can lose there, so can he.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

afleetphil

Taz,

Texas Red ran in the Jim Dandy and he won. It will take a hell of an effort for someone to beat American Pharoah, but as you said it is the Graveyard of Champions.

Man o Taz

I expect Upstart and Frosted to move up in this race and Texas Red to regress given that I think 10 furlongs may be too long for him.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

And it is looking more and more like Pharoah is coming. With that purse they will hopefully get a nice field.

It is a shame that Upstart may head elsewhere if Pharoah goes there, but there is no shame opting for the $1 million PA Derby.

Print
User actions