Kingston Hill

Started by jjacks1, October 28, 2013, 04:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacks1

Kingston Hill Clear Racing Post Trophy Winner

Paul Smith's unbeaten Kingston Hill will be a horse to watch for next season's classics after trouncing the field in the Racing Post Trophy (Eng-I) Oct. 26 at Doncaster.

Supplemented to race for £17,500 ($28,297 in United States funds), the 2-year-old colt won by 4 1/2 lengths after tracking well behind early pacesetter Buonarroti.

Kingston Hill was ridden to challenge Buonarroti well over a quarter mile out and easily gained command with more than a furlong to run. Runner-up Johann Strauss was urged to pursue but was no match for the winner.

Altruistic, who entered off a third in the Juddmonte Beresford Stakes (Ire-II) Sept. 29 at the Curragh, rallied strongly from well back for jockey-trainer Johnny Murtagh to again be third, another 2 1/2 lengths back in the 11-horse field.

Kingston Hill covered the straight one mile in 1:44.83 as the 7-2 favorite on turf rated as soft. He took his record to three wins from as many career starts while bringing down the curtain on group I racing in Great Britain for the season.

With the dominant win, Kingston Hill becomes the first group I winner for Coolmore Stud's freshman sire Mastercraftsman. He also was the second group winner of the day for his sire following Craftsman's front-running win in the JRA Killavullan Stakes (Ire-III) at Leopardstown.

Smith and trainer Roger Varian were convinced to supplement the gray or roan colt to the Racing Post Trophy after he bounced out of his 1 1/2-length triumph in the Autumn Stakes (Eng-III) two weeks ago at Newmarket. That win followed a debut victory Sept. 21 at Newbury.

The facile Racing Post Trophy triumph gives his connections something exciting to look forward to next season.

"He's a beautiful mover and next year will be an open book," Varian told Racing Post. "He has a great cruising speed and turn of foot so you wouldn't rule out the (Two Thousand) Guineas (Eng-I). He'll be in everything and we'll see how he develops over the winter and trains in the spring."

Five Racing Post Trophy winners have continued on to capture the following season's Epsom Derby (Eng-I), including 2011 winner Camelot, in addition to Authorized (2006), Motivator (2004), and High Chaparral (2001) since 2000.

Kingston Hill was bred in Great Britain by Ridgecourt Stud out of French group III winner Audacieuse, by Rainbow Quest. Audacieuse is a half sister to 2010 Acomb Stakes (Eng-III) winner Walter's Dream. Second dam Sarah Georgina is a half sister to 1991 Poule d'Essai des Pouliches (Fr-I, French One Thousand Guineas) winner Danseuse du Soir.

Bloodstock agent Charlie Gordon-Watson bought Kingston Hill for 70,000 guineas ($112,504) out of Book 2 at the 2012 Tattersalls October yearling sale. Woodcote Stud, agent, consigned.

Kingston Hill is from the first crop of Irish-based shuttler Mastercraftsman. The 7-year-old son of Danehill Dancer also has another hopeful for next year's classics in Prestige Stakes (Eng-III) winner Amazing Maria, a candidate for the One Thousand Guineas (Eng-I).
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Man o Taz

I thought Kingston Hill did well to finish fourth in the Arc.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.