Main Menu

Stallion News

Started by BlindLucky, October 27, 2013, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlindLucky

I just saw an ad for Smiling Tiger, which says he's standing at Premier Thoroughbreds in CA. However, the place appears to be called Premier Equine Center (a rehab place). They don't have a website with their stallions listed (only http://www.smilingtigerstallion.com/), but there are a few standing alongside him that I thought had disappeared!

Smiling Tiger
Sway Away (I thought he had dropped off the face of the earth... I REALLY wanted to see a conformation shot of him   ;D )
Twice the Appeal
Sierra Sunset

jjacks1

Any Given Saturday Relocated to Pin Oak Lane

Grade I winner Any Given Saturday   will relocate from Darley near Lexington to stand at Dr. William O. Solomon's Pin Oak Lane near New Freedom, Pa., for the 2014 breeding season.

The fee for the 9-year-old son of Distorted Humor  has been set at $5,000, down from $7,500.

Any Given Saturday notched the most important win of his career during his sophomore season when he prevailed by a decisive 4 1/2 lengths in the 2007 Haskell Invitational (gr. I), defeating a field that included grade I winner Hard Spun   and Horse of the Year Curlin  .

Any Given Saturday also won a pair of grade II stakes at Belmont Park that year: the Brooklyn Handicap and Dwyer Stakes. He also finished second by a nose to Street Sense   in the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III). Out of the A.P. Indy mare Weekend in Indy, Any Given Saturday retired from racing with a record of 6-2-1 from 11 starts, for earnings of $1,083,533.

"Any Given Saturday will be an outstanding addition to our farm and to the breeding industry in Pennsylvania," said Solomon, who also partners with Darley to stand Offlee Wild   at Pin Oak Lane. "He continues to show the ability to throw quality winners and I expect great support from breeders in our state."

Any Given Saturday currently ranks sixth among North America's leading third-crop sires with more than $3.7 million in 2013 progeny earnings.

He is represented by nine stakes winners, including the undefeated Princess Arabella, runaway winner of the 2012 Sunland Park Oaks who commanded $725,000 at this year's Keeneland's January mixed sale.

Bred in Kentucky by Racehorse Management LLC, Any Given Saturday is a half brother to grade III winner Bohemian Lady.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

jjacks1

Henny Hughes, Sire of Champion Beholder, to Stand in Japan

Henny Hughes, sire of champion filly Beholder, has been sold and will stand the 2014 breeding season at Yushun Company in Hokkaido, according to the Racing Post.

The 10-year-old stallion began his career in Kentucky, at Darley at Jonabell in Lexington, and also shuttled to Darley's New South Wales location for Southern Hemisphere duty. Henny Hughes was sold last year to Rangeview Stud in Western Australia.

Following the success of Beholder, Henny Hughes returned to Kentucky and stood the 2013 Northern Hemisphere season at Walmac Farm.

jjacks1

Touch Gold, Alphabet Soup Return to Adena Springs KY for 2014

Alphabet Soup and Touch Gold have both returned to Adena Springs Farm in Paris, Kentucky where they will stand from 2014. Both stallions had stood the last three breeding seasons at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds near Saratoga Springs, New York.

"We would like to thank Joe and Anne and the entire McMahon family for the wonderful job they did in standing these stallions during the past three seasons", said Adena Springs' General Manager, Eric Hamelback. "We really appreciate their efforts and their horsemanship and we are very grateful to the New York breeders for their support of both stallions. We look forward to making both of them available to the Kentucky market once again."

Alphabet Soup is enjoying a very strong year in 2013, being represented by G2 winners Egg Drop and Alpha Bettor, juvenile Stakes winner Bet On Soup, and Italian Wedding, winner of the G1 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase Handicap at Saratoga. Touch Gold remains a strong proven sire for both the racetrack and the auction ring. His progeny have lifetime average earnings of over $64,000 and his lifetime yearling average is in excess of $84,000.

Stud fees for both horses have not yet been announced.

Islandgirl45

Saw an article about Journeyman Stud announcing its 2014 fees and open house today and Tuesday. http://www.journeymanbloodstock.com/articles/journeyman-stud-announces-fees-upcoming-open-house.html

New stallions for 2014 include Brethren and Winslow Homer. I was surprised they didn't list Jackson Bend, too. I thought he was going to race this year and retire (again) to stud in 2014.

Journeyman announces fees, upcoming Open House

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Brent and Crystal Fernung's Journeyman Stud announced 2014 fees for its 13-horse roster, which features new stallions Brethren and Winslow Homer. The Ocala-based farm will be hosting an open house for breeders to preview all 13 stallions on Monday & Tuesday, Oct. 28-29 from 1:30-3:30 pm each day.

The 2014 roster will be led by two-time Florida champion sire Wildcat Heir, who will stand for a fee of $10,000 stands & nurses during the upcoming breeding season. Wildcat Heir has been a mainstay at the top of Florida sires lists since his record-setting first crop of 2-year-olds in 2009, and he again ranks near the top of the Florida General Sires list this year. Wildcat Heir was popular with breeders again in 2013, covering 125 mares.

Former Florida champion juvenile sire Awesome of Course will remain at $7,500 stands & nurses for 2014. Under him are Journeyman's exciting new stallions, led by Brethren—graded stakes winner by Distorted Humor—who will stand his first season for $6,000 stands & nurses.

Winslow Homer, a graded stakes-winning son of Unbridled's Song, will stand his introductory season at stud for $5,000 stands & nurses.Journeyman is also home to Florida's top two second-crop sires—Circular Quay and Cowtown Cat—who are both at the million-dollar mark in 2013. Both stallions will stand for $2,500 stands & nurses in 2014. Journeyman also stands Florida's leading third-crop sire Exclusive Quality, whose 2014 stud fee will also be $2,500 stands & nurses.

"The additions of Brethren and Winslow Homer to a roster of leading Florida sires, such as Wildcat Heir, Awesome of Course, Circular Quay and Exclusive Quality, provides the breeders in Florida with a diverse and successful group of horses to choose from," said Brent Fernung. "We're excited about the future at Journeyman Stud........."

Lakeway

Darn - I was expecting to see Jackson Bend listed also - wonder what's going on?
I also read somewhere that Circular Quay is entered in one of the upcoming sales, but can't remember which one - I'll have to check...

BlindLucky

Quote from: Lakeway on October 28, 2013, 08:38:02 PM
Darn - I was expecting to see Jackson Bend listed also - wonder what's going on?
I also read somewhere that Circular Quay is entered in one of the upcoming sales, but can't remember which one - I'll have to check...
He's hip 2425 at Keeneland November.

BlindLucky

Hard Spun to Darley in Japan for the 2014 season.

Lakeway

Quote from: BlindLucky on October 29, 2013, 08:54:45 AM
I could just scream - love this guy...

http://www.drf.com/news/hard-spun-darley-japan

jjacks1

Dammit! I have nothing against the Japanese, but MUST we send all our best stock over there? I really really liked Hard Spun and wanted to keep track of his babies. Do you think they'll bring him back? :(

Goldi

Coolmore announced today that VERRAZANO will be retired after the Dirt Mile; will stand at Ashford.

serenassong

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 29, 2013, 10:25:50 AM

Dammit! I have nothing against the Japanese, but MUST we send all our best stock over there? I really really liked Hard Spun and wanted to keep track of his babies. Do you think they'll bring him back? :(

I feel the same way, and I'm thinking they have a clause to return him when his stud duties are done. 
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

jjacks1

Lakeway

Street Sense spent a year in Japan and coming back, so I'm hoping Darley will do the same with Hard Spun. I just so hate shuttling as there have been many of my favs through the years who never made it back - the last being Sightseeing...

BlindLucky

Emcee to Sequel Stallions in NY

Girolamo to Darley in KY

http://www.darleyamerica.com/news/press-release-october-30-2013

Emcee, a 5 year old with 8 starts. Not exactly the standard bearer for durability.

Darley is seriously playing musical stalls, sending Hard Spun to Japan, Any Given Saturday to PA, bringing Street Sense and Girolamo back to KY... and I'm sure I've left someone out.

Print
User actions