Main Menu

California Chrome

Started by The Tin Man, April 05, 2014, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Simon Callaghan looking forward to expected return of Firing Line, unraced since 7th in 2015 Preakness, against Cal Chrome in San Diego (G2)

Date/Track:
7/23/2016, Del Mar
Distance:
1 1/16 m (Dirt)

Zenyatta

Finally! I thought Firing Line would never be back. This may be one helluva race.

Man o Taz

And then you add Dortmund into the mix and Nyquist if his connections really have misgivings about shipping him for the Haskell.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman  3h3 hours ago
Alan Sherman had Chrome in 1:26 for 7/8. Official time 1:26.40. Was aggressively hand ridden. This was a serious, aggressive work.

Art didn't seem concerned about the final time saying the track is playing pretty slow, all was well back at the barn

Man o Taz

Time a bit slow, but it seems the track was playing that way.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

CA_Chrome

Am I just not recognizing a normal ankle? It seems to me there's some swelling in Chrome's right fore ankle, but I'm not educated enough in equine anatomy to be sure. I'd welcome the opinion of others. Thanks.

RE the workout time, Chrome was the only horse who worked 7F, but if it means anything in terms of evaluating how the track was playing, the bullet work at 6F was 1:12.40, and the bullet work at 5F was :59.40.

Man o Taz

I do not think so. Looks normal to me.

From his injured hoof...

CA_Chrome

Thanks Man o Taz. Good to know I was just over-reacting to the play of lights and shadows.  :happy:

stark

7/9 Saturday morning work plus some discussion....

https://twitter.com/losalracing/status/751785466169421825

CA_Chrome

I didn't like that work. Dihigi practically had a choke hold on Chrome for most of it. Chrome kind of hopped and tossed his head once, something he never did in all the many other works of his that I've been able to see. Chrome did finish up quick and passed the workmate willingly enough, but the overall time was actually slower than last week's work.

BaroqueAgain1

I suspect that we'll see Victor on for 'Chrome's next work.

curtis

Quote from: CA_Chrome on July 10, 2016, 04:24:00 AM
I didn't like that work. Dihigi practically had a choke hold on Chrome for most of it. Chrome kind of hopped and tossed his head once, something he never did in all the many other works of his that I've been able to see. Chrome did finish up quick and passed the workmate willingly enough, but the overall time was actually slower than last week's work.
Was he working alone in those other works or in company?

CA_Chrome

Quote from: curtis on July 10, 2016, 04:44:52 PM
Was he working alone in those other works or in company?

Chrome usually works alone. Los Alamitos gives Art a clear, empty track for Chrome's works, and Del Mar is going to do the same next week. Dihigi's been doing a really good job galloping and working Chrome, but this past Saturday it seemed to me that he was too aggressive in holding Chrome back. No way to be certain from the video, but I think Dihigi jerked back pretty hard on the reins on the backstretch which is why Chrome broke stride and tossed his head. At least that's the way it looked to me after watching the video multiple times.

stark

Trainer Ron Ellis spoke on TVG yesterday about the criticisms being thrown around with regards to CC workouts and his opinion was that as horses get older, more accomplished, world travelers, they also get smarter and take better care of themselves. 

He thinks CC is smart enough to know when raceday really is and he'll put forth his best effort then, but to be held to the high standards for just an ordinary workout, well you might be disappointed because it's really not the horses intent!

curtis

Quote from: stark on July 11, 2016, 08:31:44 AM
Trainer Ron Ellis spoke on TVG yesterday about the criticisms being thrown around with regards to CC workouts and his opinion was that as horses get older, more accomplished, world travelers, they also get smarter and take better care of themselves. 

He thinks CC is smart enough to know when raceday really is and he'll put forth his best effort then, but to be held to the high standards for just an ordinary workout, well you might be disappointed because it's really not the horses intent!
I also think Chrome was getting a little rank with the rider. At this point, the horse can train himself. His biggest competition in the San Diego looks to be a come-backing Dortmund--now that Nyquist is confirmed for the Haskell--who will probably show speed. It will be in Chrome's best interest to sit off the Big Guy.

Print
User actions