Hollendorfer barred from Stronach tracks

Started by ElPrado, June 22, 2019, 06:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElPrado

4 breakdowns this meeting at Santa Anita, more in San Francisco. He was told to vacate all Stronach property with horses and equipment. He saw it coming. He is just now opening a barn in NY.

Senator L

WOW!

Raven

He had a couple of horses that run at Belmont last week
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

peeptoad

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-horse-racing-newsletter-20190623-htmlstory.html

I was shocked when I saw this in the news... and then I recalled a few of the horses of his that met a terrible end and was less shocked. But really, there are many trainers who are accused of worse (and perform worse acts in reality)  and they suffer no stiff repercussions or penalities.
I don't consider Dorf a scapegoat per se either. Maybe he's being used an example for others, but he's currently got multiple violations from the CHRB on record, so innocent he is not. It was just a matter of time imho, but some of the others are probably laughing right now (O'Neill, for starters).
Not too many truly legit good guys in this sport and that's finally coming out unfortunately.  Conversely, there is also probably a very small percentage who are actually terrible people with no care for the horses at all. Most occupy the grey area in between and unfortunately any and all can fall prey to unregulated capitalism and its dire ugliness.
This (again) on Asmussen and following in the wake of Brown's charges.... Might see the end of the sport , at least in CA, in my lifetime. Never thought I'd think that...

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/asmussen-stable-sued-by-u-s-department-of-labor-for-third-time/

Senator L

I have to try and get to Santa Anita before I can't. It is still unclear
wether they will hold the Breeders Cup this year. The other issue
for SA is the courts and who will run it - Belinda or Frank

Senator L

So if Hollendorfer has a runner in the Breeders Cup he wouldn't be able to enter?

Dusty

Quote from: Senator L on June 24, 2019, 07:02:30 AM
I have to try and get to Santa Anita before I can't. It is still unclear
wether they will hold the Breeders Cup this year. The other issue
for SA is the courts and who will run it - Belinda or Frank

Belinda is NOT my choice - what a mess she has made
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Quote from: Senator L on June 24, 2019, 06:01:24 PM
So if Hollendorfer has a runner in the Breeders Cup he wouldn't be able to enter?

If the BC doesn't relocate then I imagine he would be unable to start his horses... I did read somewhere in one piece that Del Mar was also following suit and would not allow Hollendorfer to start horses there as well as the Stronach tracks. Maybe he will move east with his entire stable.
??

These are weird times we are living in... lots of change afoot. When the dust settles hopefully we are left with some form of racing still in existence that's an overall better product.

Raven

My understanding is that the BC is its own entity  So the track has no say who is allowed in

I might be wrong on that

curtis

Quote from: Raven on June 25, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
My understanding is that the BC is its own entity  So the track has no say who is allowed in

I might be wrong on that
I believe you're right, Raven.  Team Stronach can keep him from training there and at any of their other tracks but Breeder's Cup Ltd. has final say on who can enter and compete in their races.  Since Santa Anita is hanging on to the BC by its' cuticles, I doubt they would fight it.

Scapegoat may be the wrong term but he's certainly being made an example.  Wasn't Team Stronach leasing Bay Meadows and didn't they own GGF when Dorf was filling all the races there as he had before Stronach came along?  I've never been his biggest fan but he is what he is and Dorf has been that as long as I can remember.  This whole thing reminds me of the old parable about the Frog and the Scorpion.  Dorf is the Scorpion, it's his nature.  That's why I thought it was curious that Fox Hill took their horses away from him with such indignation over the Songbird incident.  Did they do any due diligence?  Did they not know the way Dorf does business?  It amazes me when people give horses to Dorf or Baffert or Miller or Cerin and then grouse when the horses are run into the ground or hopped up to the gills.  By the same token, I could never understand it when people gave horses to Bruce Headley or Ron Ellis and then complained when the horses run 3 times a year. 

Raven

Thank you for the west coast perspective Curtis

Print
User actions