Main Menu

Older Horses

Started by BaroqueAgain1, August 09, 2018, 11:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

I was surprised and not happy to read that Masochistic is back in light training. The eight-year-old was retired last March, and I figured the gelding would be enjoying a well-earned retirement.
   Then I read the article...turns out Masochistic had a different opinion about the whole 'retirement' thing.

Grade 1 winner Masochistic, the gelding who was at the center of multiple controversies during his five seasons of racing and was retired in March, has returned to light training at Del Mar for a simple reason.
     He can't stand being turned out and, when they tried to make him a trail horse—look out.
     "He's gained a ton of weight. He's like a pony right now," said new trainer Kristin Mulhall, who has cared for Masochistic since his retirement. "When you get on his back, it's a different story. He does not enjoy just being turned out. He does not enjoy being a pet. He did not enjoy not doing anything, basically. He's not going to be a trail horse unless you plan on match racing."
     So with limited options for his post-racing career because of his attitude, owner Will Shamlian and Mulhall sent Masochistic back to the racetrack. First they attempted to make him a stable pony, but he wasn't having that, either.
     "He just wants to go," Mulhall said. "And I've worked with a lot of off-track Thoroughbreds, and I've never experienced one quite like him."

Read more: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228960/grade-1-winner-masochistic-back-in-light-training

WarBiscuit

Interesting. One problem I see is that he's 8 years old. What happens if you bring him back and he's just a marginal racer? Do you let him drop through the ranks just to keep him active and happy? I'll be curious to see how this turns out - sounds like he is exceptionally cranky and bored.

WarBiscuit

BaroqueAgain1

Good questions. What do you do with a sound horse who is too competitive to be a trail horse or stable pony? And who gets really unhappy being turned out in a field and too cranky to be a pet?   :(
   Would he be a candidate for turn-out with a batch of weanlings or yearlings? Racing around with a bunch of fast, energetic youngsters might drain that run-fast energy a bit.   ;)

ElPrado

Dressage. Hunt seat under saddle. (No jumping) Run him till he kills himself. 3 day event ... fast jumping plus dressage and running up and down slopes, over jumps, (judges and spectators, dogs, coyotes, porcupines and bears).

Print
User actions