Main Menu

Refuse to load

Started by peeptoad, August 08, 2018, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

If a horse refuses to load into the gate and is scratched does the jock still get compensated?

peeptoad

Alright, just wondering.. apparently no one here knows. The jocks in GB get paid in full either way according to the announcer at Brighton. Never heard of that before in the US or Canada.

curtis

I'm pretty sure if a jock is booked and can't get another mount due to circumstances they get their fee. The gray area is when a horse is scratched in the post parade and it is initiated by the jock's request. I think it varies by jurisdiction.

peeptoad

Thanks Curtis. I think the jocks in GB have more job "security" based on the info from the Brighton guy... not too surprising I guess.

stark

Don't most of the European jocks have "guaranteed" annual contracts with barns/owners (I recall PVal signing one here in the states that if successful would have changed things quite a bit, I think Allen Paulson was involved?)

Anyways, they pretty much get paid, win....lose.....or don't even run over there would be my guess.

Here, a mount fee is something like $28 or so if you don't collect a part of the purse, my other guess is that many jocks don't really care about losing it, but a few were counting on it for dinner tonight.

Please remember, I'm old with a failing memory, thanks.

peeptoad

Quote from: stark on August 09, 2018, 10:35:18 AM
Don't most of the European jocks have "guaranteed" annual contracts with barns/owners (I recall PVal signing one here in the states that if successful would have changed things quite a bit, I think Allen Paulson was involved?)

Anyways, they pretty much get paid, win....lose.....or don't even run over there would be my guess.

Here, a mount fee is something like $28 or so if you don't collect a part of the purse, my other guess is that many jocks don't really care about losing it, but a few were counting on it for dinner tonight.

Please remember, I'm old with a failing memory, thanks.
Thanks for the info stark. That guaranteed pay day is what the announcer was alluding to I think

stark

curtis

Quote from: stark on August 10, 2018, 07:58:16 AM
for the historians.....

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-12-28/sports/sp-880_1_allen-paulson
I remember because of that contract, the next winter at Santa Anita PVal fruitlessly chased Best Pal, time and time again on Dinard. Before the contract, Best Pal was PVal's mount. I remember back in the day, the Whiteley's had a contract with Jacinto Vasquez. I don't know if they got a cut when he pulled one here and there, though.😉 Even further back, Fred Hooper would scour Panama for jocks and bring them to the states where they rode under contract to him. A few Hall of Famers, in that group. Baeza and Pincay were a couple of them.

Senator L

Print
User actions