Main Menu

For Alydar Fans

Started by stark, August 01, 2018, 07:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Besides witnessing Ruffian.go for wand  my other big heartbreak was hisBelmont loss
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

curtis

Quote from: Raven on August 01, 2018, 08:40:02 AM
Besides witnessing Ruffian.go for wand  my other big heartbreak was hisBelmont loss
I rooted for Alydar during that TC series. Looking back though, Affirmed really earned that TC. I don't know if I've ever seen a tougher horse.

Raven

Now.40yrs later I do too.  But at that time.not

stark

Quote from: curtis on August 01, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
I rooted for Alydar during that TC series. Looking back though, Affirmed really earned that TC. I don't know if I've ever seen a tougher horse.

No need to look it up in a dictionary, it was the very definition of HEART in a horse, doesn't show up in pedigree reports or workout times but it's there when you need it, very few have/had one as big as Affirmed.

Senator L

Quote from: Raven on August 01, 2018, 08:40:02 AM

You were at the track for those races?

Stark - it was a good read. I had forgot about his questionable death in his stall

curtis

Quote from: stark on August 01, 2018, 10:36:40 AM
No need to look it up in a dictionary, it was the very definition of HEART in a horse, doesn't show up in pedigree reports or workout times but it's there when you need it, very few have/had one as big as Affirmed.
I have always thought that Pincay got the most from Affirmed. For the longest time I had a gold button, commorating Affirmed being the first horse to earn 2M. They gave them out to everyone at Hollywood Park the day Affirmed won the Gold Cup with Pincay up. A truly game performance with Affirmed carrying 132 while beating that year's Whittingham Euro, Sirlad, and a tough little pony sized Elmendorf horse, Text. Both were getting quite a bit of weight.  Certainly not to disparage Steve Cauthen, but I always wondered what those TC races would have been like had the Pirate been up.

As for Alydar, he was something in his own right. It was really too bad he got hurt after the Travers. He wasn't the same horse at four. He lost to horses like State Dinner and Star De Naskra, who were nice horses, but shouldn't have been able to warm him up.

Raven

Quote from: Senator L on August 01, 2018, 11:19:37 AM
You were at the track for those races?

Stark - it was a good read. I had forgot about his questionable death in his stall
Yes I was
I started going to the races regularly  at the spring of 1974 at Aqueduct.  Seen All of the great horses  that raced  in NY (downstate  as well Upstate )and NJ (Monmouth )in the 70s and beyond
Never seen Secretariat but  I knew ofrom him from all the horseplayers  that hang out at the pool room

Senator L

Quote from: Raven on August 01, 2018, 12:32:56 PM
Yes I was
I started going to the races regularly  at the spring of 1974 at Aqueduct.  Seen All of the great horses  that raced  in NY (downstate  as well Upstate )and NJ (Monmouth )in the 70s and beyond
Never seen Secretariat but  I knew ofrom him from all the horseplayers  that hang out at the pool room

So cool  :chickendance: Can't believe how many people have seen such great horses. My top 3 that I saw at
Woodbine were Cigar, Dance Smartly and Izvestia

afleetphil

Alydar pushed Affirmed to greatness. Back in 1978 I wanted Alydar to win. The competition between both of them was on another level.

Senator L

cannot forget about WiseDan  :chickendance: :chickendance: :chickendance:

afleetphil

My top three at Saratoga would be Bernardini, Street Sense and Songbird, that I saw in person.

Print
User actions