Raven

Prayers for that old warrior

Thanks for the link!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

BaroqueAgain1

Aw crap.   :(
   G-Damned colic.  >:(

Raven

Didn't he win couple  Hollywood Gold Cups?
I thing I seen him race at Belmont once

curtis

Quote from: Raven on July 31, 2018, 01:57:53 PM
Didn't he win couple  Hollywood Gold Cups?
I thing I seen him race at Belmont once
3 Gold Cups, 2 Big Caps, a Pacific Classic, a Goodwood and a Charlie Whittingham—all G1's. He also had a 2nd and a 3rd in two other Whittingham's, a placing in the Malibu and a 3rd in another Pacific Classic after getting caught up in a suicidal pace duel. He was so rubber legged after that latter race he almost went down on the way back to the barn. He was a notoriously poor shipper and was often derided for beating inferior horses in CA but as a racehorse he was as game as they come. Let's hope he's still got enough gameness in him to pull through this.

Raven

So I didn't see him
Thanks for posting his accomplishments.  Very impressive

stark

47 races and the only two times he shipped out of California.....

Dubai Duty Free

Tokyo for the Japan Cup

I'd be a bad shipper too!

Raven

Wasn't he ponying horses too?

Power Up Big Boy!!

stark

Quote from: stark on July 31, 2018, 05:28:51 PM
47 races and the only two times he shipped out of California.....

Dubai Duty Free

Tokyo for the Japan Cup

I'd be a bad shipper too!

BAAAAD memory......

He went to Churchill for the Breeders Cup, Belmont for the JockeyClub Gold Cup and Gulstream too, sorry my bad.

stark

stark

Doug O'Neill
‏@DougONeill1

Update—Lava Man underwent colic surgery to correct a large colon displacement. He stood beautifully and is back in his stall to begin the recovery process.  We want to thank the veterinarians and staff for their quick assessment and treatment.  Thanks to all for the good wishes.

curtis

Quote from: stark on July 31, 2018, 05:56:58 PM
BAAAAD memory......

He went to Churchill for the Breeders Cup, Belmont for the JockeyClub Gold Cup and Gulstream too, sorry my bad.
I remember he ran down pretty bad at Belmont—you probably did see him there Raven— and he tore his frog in the Japan Cup. He shipped okay when he was the pony for I'll Have Another in the 2012 Classics, though. He was probably a better horse on turf. He seemed to lose his form pretty quickly with the change to synthetics, which by all accounts he should have loved. I never knew for sure if it was the track surface at that point or whether he was just over the top.

WarBiscuit

Thankfully, making good progress:

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228976/hall-of-famer-lava-man-on-road-to-recovery

WarBiscuit

Print
User actions