Main Menu

2YOs @ DelMar

Started by stark, July 27, 2018, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

From DRF PRivman....

DEL MAR, Calif. – Reviews are strong for many of the 2-year-olds set to compete in race 6 on Sunday at Del Mar, a six-furlong maiden race that might be a preview of coming attractions.

The field is led by Bob Baffert's highly regarded Roadster, as well as the Jerry Hollendorfer-trained Gunmetal Gray, both of whom are making their debuts. But the field has plenty of depth, including Jefe, who finished strongly for third in his debut last month at Santa Anita for Keith Desormeaux.

"People say the race is loaded," said Hollendorfer, who will run two horses, Gunmetal Gray (by Exchange Rate) and View Magic (Tapit).

"We like both of them," Hollendorfer said. "Just want to get them started. If you can win at Del Mar, you can run just about any place."

Roadster, a colt by Quality Road, turned in a series of sharp works at Santa Anita, and on Monday worked in company with the mare Vale Dori. Baffert was disappointed Roadster drew the rail. Mike Smith, who has worked Roadster, has the mount.

Also of interest is Of Good Report, a son of Twirling Candy making his first start. His trainer, Luis Mendez, has sent out well-prepared youngsters from limited starters.

http://www.drf.com/news/plenty-hype-around-sunday-baby-races

BaroqueAgain1

It would be great if Gunmetal Gray turned out to be a good one. We lost his sire, Exchange Rate, early in 2016, so GG may be from the late Danzig stallion's last crop.
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/205139/exchange-rate-19-euthanized

Dusty

DelMar + 2 years olds =Dusty DO NOT BET  ==LOL - not my forte
May they run with the wind

BaroqueAgain1

I was looking at the entries for Del Mar's 1st, which is a MSW for 2yos...and the weather for today is described as "Patchy Smoke."   ???
   The smoke from that terrible Idyllwild fire must being blowing down toward Del Mar. The barns there probably have a fair number of horses who fled the San Luis Rey fire; I wonder if the smell of smoke is going to make then anxious?   :(
   ETA: 'Pharoah's little sister, Chasing Yesterday, is debuting in that 1st race.

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 28, 2018, 10:52:00 AM
   I was looking at the entries for Del Mar's 1st, which is a MSW for 2yos...and the weather for today is described as "Patchy Smoke."   ???
   The smoke from that terrible Idyllwild fire must being blowing down toward Del Mar. The barns there probably have a fair number of horses who fled the San Luis Rey fire; I wonder if the smell of smoke is going to make then anxious?   :(
   ETA: 'Pharoah's little sister, Chasing Yesterday, is debuting in that 1st race.
I hadn't heard about a fire in Idyllwild. That is where my wife and I were married. It can get ungodly hot and dry this time of year, I'm surprised there are not more bad fires there.

BaroqueAgain1

http://abc7.com/cranston-fire-map-where-idyllwild-brush-fire-is-burning/3828649/
https://www.newsweek.com/cranston-wildfire-update-idyllwild-california-fire-spreading-6000-evacuated-1045109

It's bad. Those links are from one day ago, and the fire has spread since then.   :(
Between the Cranston, Ferguson (Yosemite area) and Redding fires, California's firefighting resources are spread pretty thin. I live at the feet of the Santa Monica Mtns., and worrying about a fire starting nearby is constant.

BaroqueAgain1

Very nice win by Chasing Yesterday, AP's 2yo half sister, and very professional for such a baby. She broke well, stalked the leader, passed her when asked, changed leads perfectly and won by what looked like four or five lengths. Mike never really got after her, so she's fast, with something left in the tank.
   I look forward to her next.  ;D

BaroqueAgain1

There were two impressive youngsters who won yesterday: The Glen Hill Farm filly, Summering (War Front) wired the field in a 1-mile MSW on the turf, and Roadster (Quality Road), the much-touted colt from the Baffert barn, won easily in his MSW on the dirt.

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 30, 2018, 10:16:59 AM
   There were two impressive youngsters who won yesterday: The Glen Hill Farm filly, Summering (War Front) wired the field in a 1-mile MSW on the turf, and Roadster (Quality Road), the much-touted colt from the Baffert barn, won easily in his MSW on the dirt.
Props to Stark for starting a thread on Roadster before the colt's first out over on the Mothership.  I'm currently looking for a horse in utero on which to start a thread.😉 I hate singling an unraced 2yo—especially from the rail—in the first race of a P4, but I'd have to say he checked off all the boxes. Looks like he'll stretch out just fine too.

BaroqueAgain1

I may put Summering at the top of my 'Two-Year-Olds To Follow' list. Not just because she's by War Front, owned by Glen Hill and trained by Tom Proctor, all of which are pluses for a turf filly. She's also out of the very good, G2-winning turf mare Wishing Gate. Nice credentials.   8)
   Her win was pretty impressive, too.

stark

:thanks:

In search of the next one to take the crown.

stark

Bellafina = 94 Beyer steamrolling G2 Sorrento Stakes for 2yo fillies Sun at Del Mar, 6f in 1:10.61. Highest fig of year by U.S.-based 2yo. Simon Callaghan, Flavien Prat, Kaleem Shah.

Print
User actions