Main Menu

Catholic Boy

Started by Senator L, July 09, 2018, 06:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senator L

Last two races against Analyze it makes you remember why you like horse racing.
When looking at Catholic Boy's last races I was trying to think of what race he'll point for
either the BC mile or the BC Turf. What do you think his best distance would be? I'm thinking
the turf

Raven

I think he is better on turf
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Senator L

I was thinking mile turf Raven ...heard his trainer on the radio and one of the races under consideration is the Travers :celebrate:. Gotta think they'll keep him on turf though

Raven

in the  Travers he has to face Firenze Fire.

peeptoad

and Good Magic and maybe Justify... I think he's better on turf as well. Very gritty horse. He sure knows how to win.

curtis

Quote from: Raven on July 09, 2018, 04:45:02 PM
in the  Travers he has to face Firenze Fire.
I don't think Firenze Fire will go any where near the Travers other than the 7f G1 they run that same day. I'd take a shot with Catholic Boy in there. Outside of Justify, I think he'd be competitive and Justify may not even go in there. If it doesn't work, go back to the turf.

Raven

Peeptoad
Good Maging  is a favored of mine.  I haven't heard  anything about  where his next race will be.
Do you know that  he is going ton the Travers?

Curtis
Firenze  Fire has won a GR 1 on the dirt (one turn mile) @ Aqueduct  and Saratogas is  almost the same surface as Aqueduct

curtis

Quote from: Raven on July 10, 2018, 02:10:41 PM
Peeptoad
Good Maging  is a favored of mine.  I haven't heard  anything about  where his next race will be.
Do you know that  he is going ton the Travers?

Curtis
Firenze  Fire has won a GR 1 on the dirt (one turn mile) @ Aqueduct  and Saratogas is  almost the same surface as Aqueduct
I'm pretty sure I heard Good Magic was going the Jim Dandy/Travers route.  I know Firenze Fire is a Gr 1 winner--The Champagne at Belmont, if memory serves--but in my opinion he's not a 10f horse.  After the Dwyer, Servis said he's inclined to point him to the Jerkens (7f) unless the owners overruled him and insisted on the Haskell.  I think Servis is right, 7-8f is Firenze Fire's wheelhouse and I don't see a reason to mess with that.

Raven

Quote from: curtis on July 10, 2018, 04:25:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard Good Magic was going the Jim Dandy/Travers route.  I know Firenze Fire is a Gr 1 winner--The Champagne at Belmont, if memory serves--but in my opinion he's not a 10f horse.  After the Dwyer, Servis said he's inclined to point him to the Jerkens (7f) unless the owners overruled him and insisted on the Haskell.  I think Servis is right, 7-8f is Firenze Fire's wheelhouse and I don't see a reason to mess with that.
To paraphrase a trainer that said that his horse can go a distance,but can he do it fast enough

curtis

Quote from: Raven on July 10, 2018, 05:50:40 PM
To paraphrase a trainer that said that his horse can go a distance,but can he do it fast enough
That's my point. Towards the end of his career, Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons put a horse in the JCGC—2 miles at the time—that was coming out of a 7f race and in fact the horse had never won past 7f. Fitz was asked, "Can he go this far?"  The response was,"Sure....they can all go that far, the question is how fast?"

Raven

Thanks Curtis!  I stand corrected

peeptoad

agree on the distance limitations for Firenze Fire (and I'll redboard a bit because I hammered him in the Dwyer for that very reason)... getting back to one turn and especially getting back to BEL helped him. I'm undecided on whether he just likes BEL or whether he's better at a one turn 7-8f (probably a bit of both).
I wonder if Core Beliefs gets a chance in the Travers... maybe Romans sends King Zachary to try and upset?

Looks like Justify prob won't go since he's now got some problem with an ankle. So, Catholic Boy would have an easier task, given some uncertainties.

curtis

Quote from: Raven on July 11, 2018, 03:22:45 AM
Thanks Curtis!  I stand corrected
I didn't mean to correct you. I was just giving my opinion as to whether Firenze Fire would stretch out.

curtis

Quote from: peeptoad on July 11, 2018, 06:12:24 AM
agree on the distance limitations for Firenze Fire (and I'll redboard a bit because I hammered him in the Dwyer for that very reason)... getting back to one turn and especially getting back to BEL helped him. I'm undecided on whether he just likes BEL or whether he's better at a one turn 7-8f (probably a bit of both).
I wonder if Core Beliefs gets a chance in the Travers... maybe Romans sends King Zachary to try and upset?

Looks like Justify prob won't go since he's now got some problem with an ankle. So, Catholic Boy would have an easier task, given some uncertainties.
So you're the reason he went from 6-1 to 5/2!😉 I wasn't going to take anything under 4-1 on him. I would have been tempted at 7/2. We all have our limits.

I would imagine Core Beliefs would either go in the Haskell or the Travers. Seems I heard Bolt d'Oro is laid up and Solomini is seeing a shrink. McKinzie still hasn't recorded a work. This super crop is thinning out.

Raven

Quote from: curtis on July 11, 2018, 09:02:20 AM
I didn't mean to correct you. I was just giving my opinion as to whether Firenze Fire would stretch out.
Let me rephrase that.
Thank you Curtis for remind me about Sunny Jim's quote

Print
User actions