Arrogate - After the DWC today where do you rank him

Started by afleetphil, March 25, 2017, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina

Time to retire Arrogate, and for God's sake let him do his first breeding season here, don't start out with shuttling him.

curtis

Quote from: afleetphil on March 28, 2017, 09:42:06 AM
I may get torched here but here goes. Afleet Alex would have given Arrogate a run for his money in my opinion. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.
It's just an opinion, you shouldn't be torched or taken to the woodshed for it.  While I do think Afleet Alex was a top three-year old, I don't think his best gets close enough to Arrogate to bother him.  Afleet Alex is underrated, to me, because his two classic wins didn't include the Derby--which was won by a huge long shot. Not that it's fair, but it is what it is.  Alex's Preakness ranks with Alysheba's Derby, for me, as one of the more courageous wins I've seen.  I've believed for awhile now, that Arrogate is on another plane from the best of the last many, many years.  Which is why I advocated for him to win Horse of the Year in 2016 in spite of a truncated campaign and an excellent campaign by Chromie.  Multi-generational greats are rare as the adjective suggests.  You had Man O' War in the late teens of the 20th Century, Citation in the late '40's-early '50's (the '47-'48 model is the special one, he wasn't the same in '50-'51 after the injury though he gets points for surviving the training of the Jones boys), Secretariat in the early '70's and now, in my opinion, Arrogate is showing evidence he very well could be considered that kind.  I need a few years to gain perspective after he retires but he shows the signs that he very well could be that kind of horse.