2017 Pegasus Stakes

Started by Man o Taz, November 03, 2016, 06:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on December 13, 2016, 01:06:23 PM
So what does the result in teh Hong Kong Vase say about Highland Reel's prospects for making the Pegasus Stakes on January 28th?

They were long odds to begin with. It seems they got longer with his second place finish. I think Coolmore will want their Sheem Classic entry well rested for the race.. Multiple ships will not help with that. Then agian, they still do have an entry in the gate and unlikely there will be many takers. But it is just $1 million to "the boys".

Posisble entries:

American Freedom
Arrogate
California Chrome
Connect?
Diviinng Rod?
Dortmund?
Gun Runner? 
Highland Reel?
Hoppertunity?
Imperative?
Keen Ice?
Laoban?
Melatonin?
Mr. Jordan?
Noble Bird?
Shaman Ghost
Stanford?
Stickstatelydude?
Winx?

Both Stanford and Keen Ice are likely for the Harlan's Holiday on Saturday, as a possible prep for the Pegasus (per DRF). Madefromlucky is possible, but not certain for the same race.
Neolithic runs well tomorrow he may target the Pegasus since his connections own an entry already, although the partnership for the horse is slightly different than the group who owns the gate.

Man o Taz

Thanks peeptoad. Did not know that.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

I just knocked out a couple of horses because I have not seen any recent works for them...

American Freedom
Dortmund
Hoppertunity
Noble Bird

Hoppertunity did run recently, but I just do not think he will be pointed there.

So the field is down to a possible 16...and if some of these horses do not go back to the worktab others will be off the list.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

And Laoban is also retired, per bloodhorse

stark

James McIngvale, owner of one of the 12 slots for the $12 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational Stakes (gr. I), has privately purchased a three-time group I-winning Argentine-bred runner with the hopes of making the Jan. 28 race.

Eragon (ARG), a soon-to-be 6-year-old son of Offlee Wild—Express Time, by Shy Tom, arrived in the United States early Dec. 19 and will spend the next seven days in quarantine in Miami, Fla.

Trainer Laura Wohlers will leave from her Central Kentucky base to South Florida before Christmas to settle into the barn area at Gulfstream Park.

peeptoad

Interesting... not sure what to make of this, given the connections.

Man o Taz

Right. In any other barn one would really think twice, but with Wohlers who knows. I like the name and the Wild Again up top.

CA_Chrome

So far the only confirmed likely entries are Chrome, Shaman Ghost and Eragon. All the others are only possibles at this time.

Man o Taz

Baffert will wait to the last minute to confirm Arrogate, but he is as good as confirmed. Baffert played this same game with American Pharoah. Everyone knew he was going to the Haskell, but we only had it made definite the week before I believe. Similar for the Travers Stakes.

peeptoad

Pletcher will also likely have at least two for the race... I think that Stanford is highly probable and Keen Ice is all but confirmed. The connections of Keen Ice specifically ran him in the Harlan's Holiday as a prep for the Pegasus (per Bloodhorse)

stark

Dusty

May they run with the wind

Man o Taz

Yes. Arrogate is a pretty mover. All systems say go. Hopefully the San Pasquale goes well.

Juddomonte Signals Arrogate is definitely pointing to the Pegasus.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/218574/juddmonte-purchases-coolmores-pegasus-world-cup-slot

Man o Taz

And Arrogate is now confirmed to be pointing to the San Pasquale.

Should be interesteding to see what he does against a horse like Midnight Storm if he is indeed in the gate.

CA_Chrome

Print
User actions