2016 Royal Ascot

Started by BaroqueAgain1, June 10, 2016, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

We're only a few days away from Royal Ascot, which charges out of the gate this coming Tuesday with the G1 Queen Anne. American hopes will be carried on the wonderful withers of our own Queen of the Turf, the classy mare Tepin. I'm also hoping a couple of other fillies, Miss Temple City (G2 Duke of Cambridge Stakes) and Acapulco (King's Stand Stakes) will love Ascot's wide green course.
http://www.drf.com/news/tepin-ready-queen-anne-ascots-opening-day
TVG is carrying the races again this year (9 AM Eastern, 6 AM Pacific), so it looks like I'm going to be greeting the dawn again this year with the Queen.  ;)

stark

Wesley Ward has reduced his Royal Ascot starters by one. Star Empire will not run in Coventry as planned. Ward has 7 Ascot starters.

BaroqueAgain1

Was there a reason given, Stark?
I suppose if you ship a plane full of horses to another continent, it wouldn't be a shock if at least one of them had a poor response to the trip.

BaroqueAgain1

RacingPost has reported that both Acapulco and Sole Power have been scratched from the King's Stand due to the soft ground. Acapulco may still run in the Commonwealth Cup on Friday.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/ward-pulls-acapulco-from-kings-stand-stakes/2100140/top/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews
The expected soft ground will have a big impact on the meet, with some horses scratching, others not doing well, and still others improving.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/royal-ascot-who-wants-it-soft-and-who-doesnt/2100359/top/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

peeptoad

Good luck to Tepin today!

BaroqueAgain1

Tepin was facing so many obstacles today...long ship, soft ground, no Lasix, no nasal strip, a rider who is unfamiliar with Ascot
Didn't matter. She WON!!! What a great mare.

ThreeMustangs

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 14, 2016, 06:46:28 AM
Tepin was facing so many obstacles today...long ship, soft ground, no Lasix, no nasal strip, a rider who is unfamiliar with Ascot
Didn't matter. She WON!!! What a great mare.

She is a monster. Can you imagine what she would have done on faster ground?  :)

Senator L

I think the best part of the race was her price

$8.90 win and $3.90 to place

You gotta love doubters

BaroqueAgain1

The Coventry was won by Caravaggio, a stunning nearly-black son of the late Scat Daddy, who, IIRC, is not known for siring horses who love really soft turf. He was ridden by Ryan Moore, and I love the fact the he is going to be aboard Miss Temple City tomorrow in the Duke of Cambridge Stakes. Has to help her chances.

ThreeMustangs

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 14, 2016, 07:35:58 AM
The Coventry was won by Caravaggio, a stunning nearly-black son of the late Scat Daddy, who, IIRC, is not known for siring horses who love really soft turf. He was ridden by Ryan Moore, and I love the fact the he is going to be aboard Miss Temple City tomorrow in the Duke of Cambridge Stakes. Has to help her chances.

Such a shame Scat Daddy is no longer with us.

Dusty

Quote from: Senator L on June 14, 2016, 07:21:16 AM
I think the best part of the race was her price

$8.90 win and $3.90 to place

You gotta love doubters

OH I DO!!! :rhrse:
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

BaroqueAgain1

Did anyone else watch the Queen Mary for two-year-old fillies? I think Wesley Ward's Lady Aurelia channeled Frosted, sprinting away from the field to win by open lengths...which isn't that easy to do in a five-furlong race up Ascot's soggy straight.
A Shin Hikari disappointed in the PoW, finishing last. May have really hated the ground. Found didn't, as she nearly pulled off another win over the boys, but I think she got nipped at the wire by My Dream Boat. Waiting for the judges.

peeptoad

Nope, haven't seen any of these today. I'm at work. I only just was able to stream Tepin's race yesterday before running off to teach a class. Lucky you get to watch them all!

stark

a few good clips worth scrolling down for.... https://twitter.com/Channel4Racing

Print
User actions